Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My very first blog post

Well... I finally did it! I decided to start my own blog. w00t! as we say in the gaming world. This really has been a long time coming, and I just needed a little nudge from some friendly folks to take the plunge. I've been actively participating in the Facebook Group discussions on Prop 8 over the last several weeks, and literally, it's been a high school kid's lifetime since I'd written this much. I realized that that my pen was my sword in the 10th grade, when my teacher decided to read one of my essays to the class anonymously, and afterward told me it was one of the best essays he'd come across. In 11th grade, I submitted a critical essay to the Mt. SAC Writers' Day Festival and placed 1st in my division. I had the honor of shaking hands with Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451, when he handed me my award. In college, one of my English TAs told me that I should be a writer, and I seriously considered it. But I discovered the computer, fell in love with technology, life happened, and I hadn't thought much about writing since then.

So several weeks ago, I received a unexpected message from a fellow Facebooker who saw one of my posts and asked if she could post it on her profile, so she could share it with friends. It really made my day... I didn't think I could write like that anymore. Of course, technical specs don't have the same moving power as essays on Prop 8, so maybe writing is just like riding a bicycle. Then a couple weeks ago, I got a message from another Facebooker who told me that a post I had written in response to a Prop 8 supporter was one of the best posts she had ever read and encouraged me to send it to every newspaper I could. Of course, I was ecstatic.

/cheer

I've had a handful of compliments on my writing since then. My husband, who has been incredibly supportive of me and has been reading some of my posts, said yesterday that I was no longer allowed "to let my words go to waste," so here I am. I hope that my words at least help open up a dialog, if not move people, to help make the world a better place. My first area of business now that Prop 8 has passed is marriage equality. I have quite a lot more to say on the subject, so stay tuned. :)

No comments: