Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blue-eyes vs. brown-eyes: Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I recently came across this gem, a link to a PBS documentary called A Class Divided, about an Iowa schoolteacher who did an exercise with her class by separating the blue-eyed kids and the brown-eyed kids in order to give the kids first-hand experience in the meaning of discrimination. My son and I watched the beginning of it yesterday before school, and being about the same age as the kids in the documentary, he was so intrigued that he wanted to skip school to finish watching it. /grin

My teachers did something similar when I was in grade school, although definitely not to that extent, but it still left an impression on me... it was a lesson in equality and discrimination I would never forget. When I started this blog, it was to my parents and those teachers that I dedicated these words to. (The dedication is in my sidebar, for anyone who wants to read it.)

Because Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is coming up, I hope that everyone remembers his legacy, what he did for all of us, and that his work is far from done.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice... But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King, Jr., said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere' ... I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."
- Coretta Scott King, civil rights leader and widow of Martin Luther King, Jr. at the 25th anniversary luncheon of Lambda Defense and Education Fund, March 31, 1998

1 comment:

Mattie Lee said...

im actually doing an essay on "A Class Divided" now for a a college sociology class. I find the story very interesting and I think more people should watch this